Loch Ken Bothies site plan

We understand how our rather unique buildings fit within the complex Planning system., and we can offer appropriate advice on planning and manage all aspects of the project from the start. 


To establish exactly what may or may not be possible on a particular site, it's worth beginning the Planning Application process as early on in the project as possible. A straightforward Planning Application should typically take two months to be processed from receipt to decision ,  however like everything else just now, resources are stretched and things may  taking longer  for some councils . If the site  demands tree or wildlife surveys, archaeological reports, etc. to be undertaken., this will also add to the timescale 


Prefabricated and transported to site, our buildings are designed to conform to, and far exceed, BS:3632:2015 - the legal definition of a mobile home for Planning purposes. This can help with the planning process in certain situations, and our designs are ideal for rental accommodation where sustainability and a natural aesthetic are particularly desirable ,  for sites in designated areas., such as AONB.  Each site and design proposal is unique, and whatever the proposal , we would always advise working with your Local Planning Authority (LPA) to ensure the appropriate permissions are granted where needed. 

If the intended use of the building is as self contained accommodation for rental, we would advise you obtain planning permission for the building.  For land designated as agricultural, for example,  permission for change of use for the land to site a caravan can be applied for.  If the intended use of the building is as your main residence,  you will need planning permission for a permanent  dwelling, regardless  if  whether or not it complies with the  definition of a mobile home .   

ECHO Wave plan 7.jpg
Brock Loch plan copy 2.jpg


Other options may be possible depending on the intended use and the designation of the site , and may include :the application for a Lawful Development Certificate ( England and Wales) or a Certificate of Lawfulness ( Scotland, Northern Ireland  ). If the proposal is for incidental use - an office space , studio etc., - and can  meet the criteria, it may fall under Permitted Development.  Alternatively  a  building with self contained  accommodation within the curtilage of the main house may need an application to site an  ancillary building 

If appropriate, a Pre Planning Application can be useful to get an indication as to whether or not planning may be granted for your project. The fee  for this is normally less than for a  full planning application - an LPA may offer advice free of charge. It can be submitted without the need for detailed plans, and it can be helpful to establish the approach needed for a successful application. It is worth remembering, however that a full application is  still needed  subsequently,   so the process may ultimately take longer . 

Each individual UK regional council will have its own Local Plan and policies, and Town and Country Planning Acts differ between England & Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.  Here are links to find your LPA online. If your site is in Scotland, you can find  a link at For England or Wales, you can find your LPA and advice at the Planning Portal. The  Northern Ireland  Planning Portal offers advice and links for local  councils .